On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, dick hoogendijk wrote:
>> With zfs you can scrub the pool at the system level.  This allows you
>> to discover many issues early before they become nightmares.
>
> #zpool status
> scrub: none requested
>
> My question is really, do I wait 'till scrub is requested or am I
> supposed to scrub on a regular basis myself.

I think that "none requested" likely means that the administrator has
never issued a request to scrub the pool.

How often to scrub depends on how much you care about your data and
how invasive the scrub is to other activities (I/O bandwidth
consumption, snapshots, acoustic noise, electricity consumption), and
how long the scrub takes.  My pool is set to be scrubbed every night
via a cron job:

# Scrub the pool for errors
20 4 * * * /usr/sbin/zpool scrub MyPool

Scrub helps find and correct residual problems before they cause
serious problems such as when the data is used, or during resilvering.
The statistical chances of problems during disk resilvering are surely
significantly improved if scrub is executed often since scrub and
resilvering both access the same data.  This is based on the "Does the
sun comes up every day?" principle.

Bob