On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Volker A. Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I have a quite old machine with an AMD Athlon 900MHz with 640Mb of RAM
> > > serving up NFS, WebDAV locally to my house and running my webserver
> (Apache)
> > > in a Zone.  For me performance is perfectly acceptable, but this isn't
> an
> > > interactive desktop.  Not only is performance acceptable when I moved
> all
> > > the data (photos, etc) off the internal disk of my (PPC) Mac Mini to
> the
> > > NFSv3 accessed ZFS system things on the mac actually got faster.
> > >
> > > But surely I could afford to by a machine with 4gb of RAM after all it
> is
> > > only US$50 right ?  Yes I could but why should I need to buy more
> hardware
> > > when I can use what I already have and not fill up more land file with
> non
> > > RoHS components (most of this machine, everything other than the CPU
> fan is
> > > more than 5 years old).
> >
> > GREAT point.  Sun shouldn't innovate in software if it doesn't run well
> on
> > hardware that should've been thrown away years ago.
>
> You are comparing apples with oranges here.  The point is not to
> change software to accommodate obsolete hardware.  The point is to
> optimize existing hardware and modern software.  The money is better
> spent on more RAM than on another CPU/SATA HBA/whatever, in this
> particular use case.

You apparently didn't read the post I was responding to then.  He's talking
about someone unable to afford $50, and 8+ year old cpu's and motherboards.
That is most definitely obsolete hardware.

> > I don't know ANYONE running around
> > claiming Solaris is the OS to beat on extremely slow hardware with
> extremely
> > minimal hardware specs.  That isn't its target market and never will be.
> > THIS IS AN ENTERPRISE OS!
>
> Wrong.  OpenSolaris is certainly not an Enterprise OS.  It might
> become one when it is passed the torch from Solaris 10.

"SOLARIS" is an enterprise operating system.   "OpenSolaris" is the testbed
for Solaris.  If you're going to sit there with a straight face and try to
argue with me that OpenSolaris is not geared toward the enterprise, this
discussion is a lost cause.

Crossbow, honeycomb, COMSTAR, HA Clusters... those are most definitely
projects aimed at your average home user.

> > I don't expect the programmers at Sun or anywhere else to write their
> code
> > for hardware that's 10 years old, or stifle innovation based on that
> idea.
> > If that's the sort of project you're looking for I think you've stumbled
> > onto the wrong mailing list.
>
> I think you just have made a fool of yourself. :-)

I think you've just done the same.  You either didn't read the previous
post, or entirely failed to understand what I was saying.