Tim wrote:
> I guess I find it ridiculous you're complaining about ram when I can
> purchase 4gb for under 50 dollars on a desktop.

For many people around the world US$50 is a very significant amount of
money.  That also assumes the have the money to buy (or have already
done so) a motherboard that will take 4G of RAM.  What if they have a
laptop, even one that isn't that old (say 3 years) it probably can't
take that amount of memory.

Just because US$50 doesn't seem a lot to you it is to some people.

I have a quite old machine with an AMD Athlon 900MHz with 640Mb of RAM
serving up NFS, WebDAV locally to my house and running my webserver
(Apache) in a Zone.  For me performance is perfectly acceptable, but
this isn't an interactive desktop.  Not only is performance acceptable
when I moved all the data (photos, etc) off the internal disk of my
(PPC) Mac Mini to the NFSv3 accessed ZFS system things on the mac
actually got faster.

But surely I could afford to by a machine with 4gb of RAM after all it
is only US$50 right ?  Yes I could but why should I need to buy more
hardware when I can use what I already have and not fill up more land
file with non RoHS components (most of this machine, everything other
than the CPU fan is more than 5 years old).

--
Darren J Moffat