Stephen Stogner wrote:
> Hello,
>   We have a S10U5 server sharing with zfs sharing up NFS shares.  While using
> the nfs mount for a log destination for syslog for 20 or so busy mail servers
> we have noticed that the throughput becomes severly degraded shortly.  I have
> tried disabling the zil, turning off cache flushing and I have not seen any
> changes in performance.  The servers are only pushing about 1MB/s of constant
> traffic to the server over nfs of log data.  I think this is due to the cache
> being flushed with every nfs commit, I was wondering if any one had any other
> suggestions as to what it could be? Thank you.

Silly question, since syslog is designed to log to loghosts over the
net, why don't you send the syslogs to the NFS server (loghost)
directly?

In the current situation, it is a workload that would be helped by a
separate ZIL log or NVRAM-fronted storage.  If you do what I
suggest above, there will be no need for separate ZIL log or
NVRAM-fronted storage.
 -- richard