On 2/10/2009 3:37 PM, D. Eckert wrote:
(...)
Possibly so. But if you had that ufs/reiserfs on a LVM or on a RAID0
spanning removable drives, you probably wouldn't have been so lucky.
(...)

we are not talking about a RAID 5 array or an LVM. We are talking about a
single FS setup as a zpool over the entire available disk space on an external
USB HDD.

Ok then the parallel on linux would still be something like running reiserfs on a single disk LVM (which I think redhat still installs with by default?)

And my real point is that with ZFS even though you only wany a single FS on a single disk, you can't treat it like the LVM/RAID level of software isn't there just because you only have one disk. It is still there, and you need to understand it's commands and how to use them when you want to diconnect the disk.
I decided to do so due to the read/write speed performance of zfs comparing to
UFS/ReiserFS.

That's fine. If you have reasons to use a single disk that option is still available. Again that doesn't mean you can treat it like a FS on a raw device.

   -Kyle

Regards,

DE.