On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Tim <t...@tcsac.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Fredrich Maney <fredrichma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Ah... an illiterate AND idiotic bigot. Have you even read the manual
>> or *ANY* of the replies to your posts? *YOU* caused the situation that
>> resulted in your data being corrupted. Not Sun, not OpenSolaris, not
>> ZFS and not anyone on this list. Yet you feel the need to blame ZFS
>> and insult the people that have been trying to help you understand
>> what happened and why you shouldn't do what you did.

> #1 English is clearly not his native tongue.  Calling someone idiotic and
> illiterate when they're doing as well as he is in a second language is not
> only inaccurate, it's "idiotic".

I have a great deal of respect for his command of more than one
language. What I don't have any respect for is his complete
unwillingness to actually read the dozens of responses that have all
said the same thing, namely that his problems are self inflicted due
his refusal to read the documentation. I refrained from calling him an
idiot until after he proved himself one by spewing his blind bigotry
against the US. All in all, I'd say he got far better treatment than
he gave and infinitely better than he deserved.

>> ZFS is not a filesystem like UFS or Reiserfs, nor is it an LVM like
>> SVM or VxVM. It is both a filesystem and a logical volume manager. As
>> such, like all LVM solutions, there are two steps that you must
>> perform to safely remove a disk: unmount the filesystem and quiesce
>> the volume. That means you *MUST*, in the case of ZFS, issue 'umount
>> filesystem' *AND* 'zpool export' before you yank the USB stick out of
>> the machine.
>>
>> Effectively what you did was create a one-sided mirrored volume with
>> one filesystem on it, then put your very important (but not important
>> enough to bother mirroring or backing up) data on it. Then you
>> unmounted the filesystem and ripped the active volume out of the
>> machine. You got away with it a couple of times because just how good
>> of a job the ZFS developers did at idiot proofing it, but when it
>> finally got to the point where you lost your data, you came here to
>> bitch and point fingers at everyone but the responsible party (hint,
>> it's you). When your ignorance (and fault) was pointed out to you, you
>> then resorted to personal attacks and slurs. Nice. Very professional.
>> Welcome to the bit-bucket.
>
> All that and yet the fact remains: I've never "ejected" a USB drive from OS
> X or Windows, I simply pull it and go, and I've never once lost data, or had
> it become unrecoverable or even corrupted.

You've been lucky then. I've lost data and had corrupted filesystems
on USB sticks on both of those OSes, as well as several Linux and BSD
variants, from doing just that.

[...]

fpsm