I understand > that the ZILs are allocated out of the general pool.

There is one intent log chain per dataset (file system or zvol).
The head of each log the log is kept in the main pool.
Without slog(s) we allocate (and chain) blocks from the
main pool. If separate intent log(s) exist then blocks are allocated
and chained there. If we fail to allocate from the
slog(s) then we revert to allocation from the main pool.

Is there a ZIL for the ZILs, or does this make no sense?

There is no ZIL for the ZILs. Note the ZIL is not a journal
(like ext3 or ufs logging). It simply contains records of
system calls (including data) that need to be replayed if the
system crashes and those records have not been committed
in a transaction group.

Hope that helps: Neil.