Thanks to everyone for such helpful and detailed answers. Contrary to some of
the trolls in other threads, I've had a fantastic experience here, and am
grateful to the community.

Based on the feedback, I'll upgrade my machine to 8 GB of RAM. I only have two
slots on the motherboard, and either add two 2 GB DIMMs to add to the two I
have there, or throw those away and start over with 4 GB DIMMs, which is not
something I'm quite ready to do yet (before this is all working, for instance).

Now, for the SSD, Crucial appears to have their (recommended above) C300 64 GB
drive for $150, which seems like a good deal. Intel's X25M G2 is $200 for 80
GB. Does anyone have a strong opinion as to which would work better for the
L2ARC? I am having a hard time understanding, from the performance numbers
given, which would be a better choice.

Finally, for my purposes, it doesn't seem like a ZIL is necessary? I'm the only
user of the fileserver, so there probably won't be more than two or three
computers, maximum, accessing stuff (and writing stuff) remotely.

But, from what I can gather, by spending a little under $400, I should
substantially increase the performance of my system with dedup? Many thanks,
again, in advance.