On 07/01/10 22:33, Erik Trimble wrote:
On 7/1/2010 9:23 PM, Geoff Nordli wrote:
Hi Erik.

Are you saying the DDT will automatically look to be stored in an L2ARC device if one exists in the pool, instead of using ARC?

Or is there some sort of memory pressure point where the DDT gets moved from ARC to L2ARC?

Thanks,

Geoff

Good question, and I don't know. My educated guess is the latter (initially stored in ARC, then moved to L2ARC as size increases).

Anyone?

The L2ARC just holds blocks that have been evicted from the ARC due
to memory pressure. The DDT is no different than any other object
(e.g. file). So when looking for a block ZFS checks first in the ARC then
the L2ARC and if neither succeeds reads from the main pool.

- Anyone.