On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 01:35:31PM -0700, valrh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Finally, for my purposes, it doesn't seem like a ZIL is necessary? I'm
> the only user of the fileserver, so there probably won't be more than
> two or three computers, maximum, accessing stuff (and writing stuff)
> remotely.

It depends on what you're doing.

The perennial complaint about NFS is the synchronous open()/close()
operations and the fact that archivers (tar, ...) will generally unpack
archives in a single-threaded manner, which means all those synchronous
ops punctuate the archiver's performance with pauses.  This is a load
type for which ZIL devices come in quite handy.  If you write lots of
small files often and in single-threaded ways _and_ want to guarantee
you don't lose transactions, then you want a ZIL device.  (The recent
knob for controlling whether synchronous I/O gets done asynchronously
would help you if you don't care about losing a few seconds worth of
writes, assuming that feature makes it into any release of Solaris.)

> But, from what I can gather, by spending a little under $400, I should
> substantially increase the performance of my system with dedup? Many
> thanks, again, in advance.

If you have deduplicatious data, yes.

Nico