On Mon, May  2 at 20:50, Darren J Moffat wrote:
On 05/ 2/11 08:41 PM, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
On Mon, May 2 at 14:01, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 2 May 2011, Eric D. Mudama wrote:

Hi. While doing a scan of disk usage, I noticed the following oddity.
I have a directory of files (named file.dat for this example) that all
appear as ~1.5GB when using 'ls -l', but that (correctly) appear as
~250KB
files when using 'ls -s' or du commands:

These are probably just sparse files. Nothing to be alarmed about.

They were created via CIFS. I thought sparse files were an iSCSI
concept, no?

iSCSI is a block level protocol. Sparse files are a filesystem level concept that is understood my many filesystems including CIFS and ZFS and many others.

Yea, kept googling and it makes sense.  I guess I am simply surprised
that the application would have done the seek+write combination, since
on NTFS (which doesn't support sparse) these would have been real
1.5GB files, and there would be hundreds or thousands of them in
normal usage.

thx!

--
Eric D. Mudama