At 6:09 PM -0500 9/13/05, Jeff Walther wrote:
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:20:37 -0700
From: Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Each PhoneNet connector needs to have both jacks filled.  If there
is only one cable connected to a PhoneNet connector, then the other
jack should have a terminator installed.  The terminator is just a
little telephone plug with a resistor between the yellow and black
wire terminals.  I don't recall the resistance at the moment.

Only if you are doing a daisy chain connection.  In a bus topology
the wiring is terminated and individual drops are not.

It's likely this installation is a daisy chain setup but I mentioned
it because this is a common way mis-information gets passed around.
Someone mentions partial information and then others who don't know
better think it's the whole story.

Clark, can you elaborate on this? I never looked at the bus topology much, as I didn't use it. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure what a bus topology is. You're not talking about a star topology, right? This is something else again?

No real need, just idle curiosity.

In bus topology you run a twisted pair from one phone jack to another. Each end of the pair has a termination resistor attached. You connect PhoneNet adapters to it with a drop cable, typically not longer than about 20 feet. No terminators are installed in the PhoneNet adapters.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal