That is the general theory and it stands up - for now.

But I don't know. They said hip-hop would never catch on. Grandmaster Flash
was playing hip-hop style nine years before The Message. They used to fret
that no one got it. Nine years!
Hip-hop has changed the way people listen to music. It has much more complex
lyrics. Not just something you can sing along to. More than a hook.
It created its audience. Plus people who don't primarily speak English get
into it. You hear the stories, Jay-Z goes to France and the kids know his
lyrics but often don't even speak English.
So it could be that techno could create its own audience on a mass scale.
I believe that house has been held back in the US because of latent
homophobia. The disco backlash created enduring problems. From what I can
discern, house music crosses over in countries where there is less anxiety
about sexuality.