Chuck:

That is exactly what we do for our code. Has served us well for all our sites.
We can have 200+ current users on the system, importing records from labs (thus
needing lots of counters quickly), and never noticed a problem with the system.
For those counters we do not wanted to have one go missing we have a BLOB to
hold for use next time.

The reason we use our own counters rather than 4D’s auto assigned number is
that we are often importing records from previous systems. We can easily roll
back the counters when and where needed. We also like to put a good block of
unused numbers between what was imported and what has been created by the
system. That way looking at the unique numbers the Admins and us can know
quickly where the record came from. This is specifically important when the
system is first used.

Jody

Jody Bevan
Developer