I do this too, only I use a second (related) table [Sequence_Recyled]
rather then a blob.
Each record in the related table holds a return value, and a relational
ID.

query before creating, use if found
on return of a created value, a new record in the recycle table is
created & populated.

if deleting on a table with recyclable ID the old (previously used) ID
goes into the recycle bin.
If deleting lots of records - selection to array, array to selection.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 08:29:55 -0600, Jody Bevan via 4D_Tech wrote:

> That is exactly what we do for our code. Has served us well for all
> our sites. We can have 200+ current users on the system, importing
> records from labs (thus needing lots of counters quickly), and never
> noticed a problem with the system. For those counters we do not
> wanted to have one go missing we have a BLOB to hold for use next
> time.
Gas is for washing parts
Alcohol is for drinkin'
Nitromethane is for racing