Chuck,
Nope. Compiled is compiled for either platform. As Miyako said you could
indicate if you wanted 64 bit and there is the question of the variable
definitions but aside from that 4D is wonderfully agnostic with regard to
platform - at least at this level.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 2:47 AM Charles Miller via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> I am confused when you are running on a windows server.  I thought you had
> to co pile on windows. I know that if you are building server and clients
> that is true. What is also true is that you have to build the first Mac
> client on a Mac and the first windows client on a pc. Once you have done.
> That you can include both in your built server and allow for automatic
> updates
>
> Regards
> Chuck
>
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 1:51 AM Paul Lovejoy via 4D_Tech <
> 4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > > On 18 Oct 2019, at 06:17, Keisuke Miyako via 4D_Tech <
> > 4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > that's basically right,
> > >
> > > v11 was the last version that supported i386 and ppc.
> > > the label back then was "Compile for PPC and Intel processors (Mac
> Intel
> > and Windows)"
> > >
> > > http://library.4d-japan.com/REFERENCE/v11/4D_v11_Design_Ref.pdf
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > stating with v12, we have the option to "also compile for 64-bit"
> > > for a while we could compile for 64-bit in addition to 32-bit (no
> option
> > to drop 32-bit, since Windows clients and Mac are 32-bit)
> > > at the time, 64-bit implicitly meant Server, Windows.
> > >
> > > starting with v15 we have 64-bit version for Mac.
> > > this time the compiler was updated to generate code that could work for
> > 64-bit on both platforms,
> > > so there was no need to mention the platform for compilation.
> > >
> > > and then, finally with 17R5 we no longer have 32-bit support.

> > no longer necessary or am I missing something. Is it the same object code
> > regardless of OS, since they’re both Intel processors?

> > > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > > Unsub:  mailto:4d_tech-unsubscr...@lists.4d.com
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:4d_tech-unsubscr...@lists.4d.com
>
> --

>  Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
>  Informed Solutions, Inc.
>  Brookline, MA 02446 USA Registered 4D Developer
>        Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
>           https://www.informed-solutions.com

> This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
> confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
> intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
> transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
> printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
> reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
> message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
> compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from
> [...]

Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

What can be said, can be said clearly,
and what you can’t say, you should shut up about

*Wittgenstein and the Computer *