On Thu, Jun 21, 2018, at 4:58 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:
> On 6/20/18, Ethan A. Gardener <eeke...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > [ ... ] Most of it is going into game scripting at the moment, but on the
> > back
> > burner is a Forth-based project; a sort of operating system where the
> > primary interface to all tasks is a Forth interpreter. [ ... ]
>
> Bakul may not agree, but that sounds like a novel take on APL.
> Different underlying syntax, but conceptually quite similar.

I knew it must have been done before, but APL is one of the many things I never
got around to looking into.

> Forth is
> one of those things that happened while I wasn't watching, so I'm not
> at all familiar with it, so it makes sense for me to use the model I
> know, but this sounds quite intriguing.
>
> Do you know APL and/or any of its derivatives? You'd bit a better
> judge. The idea of the full interpreter at the command line is a
> powerful one and APL's one liners handle much better the shortcomings
> of any Unix shell's regarding multi-line constructs.
>
> It would interesting to explore your particular take on this and place
> it in a broader context.

Thanks! I don't know APL at all, beyond the fact that its need for a graphical
(or at least sophisticated) display held it back in the past. I should probably
look into it now, I'm sure it would save me from making some mistakes in my
design.

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer