One of the first systems that I could actually touch was a 68K/S100 system
back in early '80s; it ran a unix-like OS.  It was made by a Seattle area
company named Empirical Research Group.  The CPU board had Forth in ROM. I
was lucky enough to witness one of the designers perform some serious
diagnostics on other boards in the system using only the CPU/Forth.

I don't think they were the first to come up with this idea.