I think this is one of those subjects which could be debated over and over,
but really only practical tests will ever provide real proof that a method
does or doesn't work. Yes, it would take a considerable amount of time, but
you also have to factor in the amount of knowledge you would gain by
effectively building your own hardware to replace that of the USRP.
Obviously, using old hardware would probably limit you to only a few
channels at a time, but at the same time, if you wanted to watch the whole
GSM spectrum, you'd need more than just a single USRP, and that's when it
starts getting expensive!

Sometimes, these projects aren't just about the end goal, but also how much
fun you have and what you learn along the way, you know?

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Sylvain Munaut <246...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I agree with Peter. It is completely useless to waste time on old
> hardware.
>
> But it'd make for dead cheap sniffer ...
>
> > There are many groups that try that without success, as each hardware was
> > done with physical limitations.
>
> Really ? do you have any specific examples of failed attempt and their
> reason ?
>

> > What i consider, is to contact Ettus people and ask them to prepare a new
> > device with more Mhz of bandwith. (maybe we could join interested people
> > here to setup an initial multi-group list order).
>
> Just my 2cent but before building better hardware, maybe it'd be
> useful to just exploit the one we have. AFAICT airprobe isn't exactly
> very advanced yet ...
>
> Seems to me that suddenly everybody is rushing to buy big and
> expensive hardware ....
>

> Cheers,
>
>    Sylvain

Cal Leeming

Operational Security & Support Team

*Out of Hours: *+44 (07534) 971120 | *Support Tickets: *
supp...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
*Fax: *+44 (02476) 578987 | *Email: *cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Simplicity Media Ltd. All rights reserved.
Registered company number 7143564