    James> On Mon 11 Jun 2001 at 01:47PM +0200, Frank Nordberg wrote:

    >> B/c<dc/B|
    >> instead of:
    >> B/c/ d>cB|
    >>
    >> The last one seems to be an midi2abc favourite, popping up all the time.

    James> My guess is that this is a stylistic change made by whoever
    James> created the MIDI files. Unless you have a very old version
    James> of midi2abc, you should be able to retrieve exactly the
    James> notes from a computer-generated MIDI file that were put in
    James> unless the notes get very short.

Here's an example of running midi2abc on a MIDI created by abc2midi:

X:1
T:VI. Now, O now, I needs must part,
C: John Dowland
O: From The First Booke of songs or Ayres of foure parts, with Tableture for the Lute
T:Cantus
M:3/2
L:1/2
N:Original clef, C on first line
K:Gmix
%%MIDI nobarlines
%1
|:  B2   A | G2 ^F | E2   G |  A2 z | B2   d | c2  B | A2 B
w:1.~Now, O now, I   needs must part, part- ing though I ab- sent
w:While I live I needs must love, love lives not when hope is
w:2.~Deare, when I from thee am gone, Gone are all my joyes at
w:And al- though your sight I leave,  Sight where in my joyes doe
w:3.~Deare, If I do not re- turne, Love and I shall die to-
w:Part we must though now I die, Die I do to part with
%2
A2 z |    B2 A |    G2 ^F | E2 G | A2 z | B d c > c B A | G6 :|
w:mourn.  Ab- sence can no joy im- part: joy once fled can- not re- turne.
w:gone.  Now at last de- spaire doth prove, love di- vi- ded lov- eth none.
w:once. I loved thee and thee a- lone, In whose love I joy- ed once.
w:lie, Till that death doth sence be- reave, Ne- ver shall af- fec- tion die.
w:gether. For my ab- sence ne- ver mourne, Whom you might have joy- ed ever:
w:you.  Him des- paire doth cause to lie, Who both lived and di- eth true.
%3
|:c2 c | c2 e | d2 e | d2 z | c > c B | A c B | A6 | B2 A |
w:Sad de- spair doth drive me hence, this des- paire un- kind- nes sends. If that
%4
G2 ^F | E2 G | A2 z | B d c > c B A G6 :|
w:part- ing bee of- fence, it is shee which then of- fends.
% input file cantus.mid
% format 1 file 3 tracks
X: 1
T:
M: 3/2
L: 1/8
Q:1/4=120
K:G % 1 sharps
% MIDI Key signature, sharp/flats=0  minor=0
% Time signature=3/2  MIDI-clocks/click=36  32nd-notes/24-MIDI-clocks=8
%C:John Dowland
%O:From The First Booke of songs or Ayres of foure parts, with Tableture for the Lute
%N:Original clef, C on first line
%1
%2
%2
%3
%4
%4
V:1
%VI. Now, O now, I needs must part,
%C:John Dowland
%O:From The First Booke of songs or Ayres of foure parts, with Tableture for the Lute
%Cantus
%N:Original clef, C on first line
%1
B8A4|G8F4|E8G4|A8z4|
B8d4|c8B4|A8B4|
%2
A8z4|
B8A4|G8F4|E8G4|A8z4|
B4d4c4-|c3/2c2-c/2B4A4|G12-|G12|
B8A4|G8F4|E8G4|A8z4|
B8d4|c8B4|A8B4|
%2
A8z4|
B8A4|G8F4|E8G4|A8z4|
B4d4c4-|c3/2c2-c/2B4A4|G12-|G12|
%3
c8c4|c8e4|d8e4|d8z4|
c4-c3/2c2-c/2B4|A4c4B4|A12-|A12|
B8A4|
%4
G8F4|E8G4|A8z4|
B4d4c4-|c3/2c2-c/2B4A4|G12-|G12|
c8c4|c8e4|d8e4|d8z4|
c4-c3/2c2-c/2B4|A4c4B4|A12-|A12|
B8A4|
%4
G8F4|E8G4|A8z4|
B4d4c4-|c3/2c2-c/2B4A4|G12-|G12|
%@LENGL
%@TVI. Now, O now, I needs must part,
%C:John Dowland
%O:From The First Booke of songs or Ayres of foure parts, with Tableture for the Lute
%N:Original clef, C on first line
%1
w:1. Now, O now, I needs must part, part-ing though I ab-sent-2
w: mourn. Ab-sence can no joy im-part: joy once fled can-not re-turne.-2
w: mourn. Ab-sence can no joy im-part: joy once fled can-not re-turne.-3
w: Sad de-spair doth drive me hence, this des-paire un-kind-nes sends. If that-4
w: part-ing bee of-fence, it is shee which then of-fends.-4
w: part-ing bee of-fence, it is shee which then of-fends.

It doesn't illustrate Frank's problem, but this one might be related:

Original:
L:1/2
B d c > c B A

midi2abc:
L:1/8
B4d4c4-|c3/2c2-c/2B4A4

Which should be:

B4 d4 c4-|c2 c2 B4 A4

So it looks to me like either midi2abc or abc2midi isn't handling the
">" very well.  Incidentally, I just had a report from someone who
is using my MIDI files to produce scores that his software frequently
reads dotted constructions as triplets, so it may well be an abc2midi
bug.

The misplacement of the words is another obvious problem with this
output file.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574