>>> The c>c construct is a problem because it is notated as a
>>> 3:1 ratio but played as a 2:1 ratio.
>> Played by whom?  Does the standard document this?
> Played by abc2midi and played by most players of hornpipes,
> I believe. If you try changing abc2midi so that it uses a 3:1 ratio,
> you should find that hornpipes don't sound quite right.
> Of course, this is all subjective and maybe you play things a bit
> differently in Boston :-) . As far as I know this is not documented
> in the standard at all, since it is more musical knowledge
> than anything to do with abc.

There was nothing to say that the example given was a hornpipe (nor
are all hornpipes played that way).

This would be a disastrous misinterpretation for almost all other
uses of the construct.  In a strathspey and in much Baroque music,
you interpret > as something nearer to >> ; but any tweaks like
that *have* to be under user control.