>>> That sounds pretty good.
>> Maybe I'll try implementing it.
> I don't think that would be a good idea.  IMHO any characters that
> might still be available should be reserved to signal new, more
> productive contexts.  The "no notes" context can be easily be
> indicated by a pseudocomment as long as a standard one be agreed
> upon.  E.g.
>       %% End of tune

You're misunderstanding where this notation is meant to appear.
The asterisk was something for the Tune Finder to display - it
already presents a list of the header fields used in the tune,
thos would go in the same place.  In my GS MacLennan file on
the web there is this "tune":

X:0
T:Dalnahassaig
Z:Jack Campin <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> version 1.0 September 2001
C:Pipe Major George S. McLennan
S:Gordon Highlanders Pipe Music Collection volume I
B:NLS Mus.D.s.19
R:Strathspey
M:C
K:Hp
% No tune body - index entry

which, under John's proposal, would get an entry "TZCSBRMK*" in the
Tune Finder.

If John's software can identify bodiless tunes without any special
signalling, maybe no ABC notation is needed for it; but it still
seems to me that it would be a good idea to signal which tunes are
*meant* to be that way, to distinguish bibliographies or works in
progress from the results of communication/conversion foulups. A
single barline, as Phil suggests, is something that couldn't easily
comprise a complete tune body by accident, so it could be used for
such a convention if everybody agreed on it.

A crypto checksum (something I have been arguing in favour of for
years) would also serve the same function - you'd know exactly how
much tune there was at the moment when the checksum was generated
(which in general would be the time when the tune was made public).