From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 10:15 AM
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning
the disabled.
Subject: Re: [AI] Disclosure of disability in a job application: your
personal views

Hi Kartik and all,

Kartik, I think we are in substantial agreement here. Both of us would like
to be assessed solely by our qualifications and ability to get the job done
and not be given additional brownie points for having a disability, just as
we would not like to be discriminated against based on our disability.

As one of the lawyers said in the meeting I referenced in the first post, we
would like to be assessed solely by the content of our character, as Dr.
King said. That is, however, not the case sometimes. This being so, the
question then is not if your disability will play a role but what role it
will play. I think a better answer to that question is that, by taking
control of the situation by making a disclosure upfront, we can make that
role positive. Your opinion is that its role can be addressed as and when it
naturally comes up in the selection process.

Insofar as my assumption that people giving careful thought to this issue is
concerned, that is based on my own experience. More specifically, for a
couple of internships which I did and even in my job interview, since they
knew I was blind beforehand, they were equipped to have a constructive
conversation which they would have perhaps not been if they didn't know this
beforehand. In my job interview, for example, I was asked how I would feel
about being asked to shift to a different vertical in the firm owing to the
constraints flowing from my disability. I don't think such a thoughtful
question could have been formulated sans prior notice.

In the meeting I had, the folks espousing the  view that disclosure should
not be made were saying that prior disclosure results in : (a) the employer
trying to lay traps to not hire you due to objective factors and (b) making
a palpable difference in how you are treated in the interview. Now, I
personally have never faced such treatment. However, it is certainly
conceivable. If a potential employer is biased against you in that way, I
think the best approach is to make as strong and emphatic a case about: (a)
howyour disability will not come in the way; (b) some of their concerns are
unfounded and (c) you can help the workforce become more diverse, bring to
the table valuable problem-solving skills and grit which your sighted
colleagues do not possess ( here I should mention that I am of the firm view
that a blind person does possess these in a more substantial measure than
their sighted counterparts because it is not as though they haven't acquired
these skills through academic and other pursuits like their sighted
colleagues. They have, and on top of that they have acquired the skills
flowing from grappling with an objective impairment which their sighted
colleagues have not, but perhaps those similarly disadvantaged, like people
of colour or LGBT people have).

Again, I don't think you would disagree with these 3 points. Indeed, you
embody them more fully than most disabled people. I am of the considered
view that these 3 points can best be brought home by laying the foundation
for them in their application. It appears that you already do this, as you
say that you make indirect references to it in your resume. The lawyers in
that meeting, however, were saying that such references should also be
removed, to avoid the 2 consequences I outlined at para 4 above, which I
wholly disagree with.

Finally, because you cannot predict which employers will try to be
discriminatory and which not, one's best bet would be to make a disclosure,
either wholly or in part but in my view wholly, to be able to make these 3
points, in every case.

Best,
Rahul

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
> you to make them comfortable and demonstrate during that process how
> you will be successful. Also, remember that in most of the cases, your
> resume is not even reviewed by the hiring manager before the
> interview, so by disclosing, you're only telling the HR who is not
> going to be involved in the interview. I'll admit all of this is true
> for tech, but I'm not sure how other industries work.
>
> I agree with your third point. The point is not about whether you
> should disclose, but it's more about when, to whom and how. We need to
> understand that just as how we might not understand other
> disabilities, the world does not understand us as well and that's
> fine. to expect them to do their research and somehow overcome their
> biases isn't fair either. It's really on us to help them understand us
> and our disabilities, which is exactly why I prefer disclosing at
> interviews or having conversations after one is shortlisted.
>
> There is no right or wrong answer here. It's a function of various
> things, including how you'd like the world to know you, whether there
> will be significant changes in how you do your work because of your
> disability and so on.
>
> Best,
> -Kartik
>
>> On 9/14/18, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj10...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kartik, it is certainly a personal decision, but I definitely believe
>> that there is great value to be gained by making a case, in your job
>> application, for the proposition that you have achieved a significant
>> amount of success, assuming you have, despite your disability. In
>> this way, you are able to arrogate to yourself the power to shape
>> your narrative, insofar as it concerns your disability. To
>> illustrate, I used to mention in my cover letter that the battle to
>> thrive in a world designed essentially for the sighted has endowed me
>> with a unique set of problem-solving skills which sets me apart. I
>> think that you can present your disability as an asset if you do this.
>>
>> Second, to your point about potential employers discerning the fact
>> that you are disabled when they see you for the interview, I think
>> that approach deprives them of the opportunity to give careful
>> thought to how your disability might impact your work and to frame
>> constructive questions on that basis. Whatever questions they ask you
>> in such a scenario would be off the cuff and so you may not be able
>> to get a chance to address all their inhibitions.
>>
>> Third, I think it may not be a good idea to operate on the premise
>> that, for a person with a disability, the employment decision will
>> wholly be based on your qualifications and your disability will play
>> no part in the process. I think it certainly plays a part, even
>> though it is true that you can later, by dint of your talents and
>> abilities neutralize its role completely. This being so, it's best,
>> in my view, to exhibit the willingness to discuss it upfront, as opposed
to letting things unfold in their own way.