I use the same workflow when converting from VHS or Hi8, which I don't own
but have done for clients. There are so many roads to Rome these days that
any relative newcomer will find it challenging to identify a solution
that's best for them. In her case (and if you got the gender from the email
address I take my hat off to you) going outside might make the most sense,
unless there's enough tape to justify buying a deck. In Canada, Black's
Camera will send out the analogue source and ship back DVD, and I know
there are other suppliers offering the same service.
David Hurdon
At 05:36 PM 2/28/2005 -0600, you wrote:
<<I don't own one but I believe that most, if not all of the recently
developed DVD recording decks will accept analogue inputs (RCA/S-video) to
bring source material in and write it to DVD on the fly. Your cam must have
them to allow for viewing tape on a TV or copying to a VCR. This has to be
the most straightforward method of conversion, because it skips the
requirement to capture MPEG-2 and then author it for DVD video. Of course
you don't get any choices about encoding quality or menu creation, to my
knowledge, but you do get a DVD archive that will preserve the current
state of your tape content.>>
---I would definitely recommend a DVD recorder also but she wrote in asking
about using her computer to do the job.
I have Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 which does a good job with direct to disc
cap but I've only used it twice because it's not something I have much of a
need for.
Anything I capture from analog always goes to DV-AVI for enhancement,
cleanup and editing first and THEN it gets archived as AVI and also
converted to MPEG-2 and that way I have two archives, the MPEG-2 DVD for
viewing and the AVI as a "clone" of the analog tape.
If it's just to backup a home VCR recording I generally dont use DVD anyway
because we use our computers as part of our home entertainment system and I
prefer Windows Media on DVD-data disc over DVD-video.....better picture
quality and MUCH smaller file sizes, and I can always convert the Windows
Media to MPEG-2 later on anyway.
JeffH
Ch.S.
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/