I like sites like the beginner site you mentioned and sites like
perlmonks, but these sites all share something in common -- they are
directed at the needs of the (prospective|current) developer. In
today's businesses there are other individuals who decide upon a
language to do development -- analysts, CTOs, CEOs, etc. These people
are not interested in how elegant perl's map function is or whether
you can do obscure things with it. Their needs are pretty
straightforward like a) what types of problems is it best suited for
(think Java which consistently marketed itself as a C++ replacement
early on) b) what is it's development cycle/structure (think Apache
Foundation) c) and, as I've been saying, who is achieving/surpassing
ROI expectations by implementing in Perl as opposed to available
alternatives.

If you don't believe that these things are important then make a point
of going to your next company/client outing and try talking to higher
level IT decision makers. I think you will see that concerns like
these have greater precedence to them than whether CMS xyz uses Perl.
In fact, perhaps it would be best to create a questionnaire for these
folks and tabulate responses.

As developers we tend to believe that when things aren't working we
need to just do more development. This is like the horse in Animal
Farm who used to say, 'I will work harder.' it is time to look beyond
that. Don't guess at what will improve the Perl community, let's take
a step back and lend a watchful eye to what has worked for others and
what the people want.

Sincerely,

Joel Limardo
Chief Software Engineer