From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Chuck McCown
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 7:58 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT Solar and battery backup

The only reason to oversize an array here in Utah if fed by Rocky Mountain
Power is if you made an effort to run electrical heating loads in the winter to
offset some natural gas usage.  Nice to run the AC as much as you want in the
summer too.

I have wonder if I put a small inverter to back feed my home and disconnect the
mains during an outage, if the inverter would spoof the grid tie inverters into
coming on.  I am pretty sure they would if the inverter put out a good clean
sine wave.  But if the inverters got satisfied that there was mains power and
they kicked on, they would overvoltage things pretty quickly, so I would have
to have some kind of load that would ballast the grid tie inverter a bit.  Be
fun to experiment with.