From: Josh Reynolds
Date: Friday, March 13, 2015 at 2:20 PM
To: Bill Prince
Cc: "af@afmug.com<mailto:af@afmug.com>"
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] AC spec available in 2.4?

Beam forming was an optional part of 802.11n.

There are two types of beamforming, antenna based and chip/tx based.

802.11AC is significantly more efficient than 802.11N when it comes to protocol
overhead, however the majority of the speed gain is from higher order
modulations coupled with larger channel sizes. BTW, 160MHz wide channels are on
the horizon for 802.11AC rev3.

MU-MIMO is nice.

I would not expect to ever see a 2.4GHz "AC" chipset on the mass market at
"reasonable pricing", even for ISPs. Too little to gain, on various fronts.

On Mar 13, 2015 1:02 PM, Bill Prince