I can give a first hand example from my EMS days of where they would have
saved a person. A "woman" was driving a cargo van and got in a wreck, the
front end crumpled, drivers door was seized, items from the back speared
through the drivers seat.on her right side. fuel ignited under the vehicle.
The accident was 8 miles out from our ambulance garage, getting through
town and to the scene was probably all told 10-12 minutes
bystanders stopped to help, she was begging and pleading for them to get
her out. Theycould not open the drivers door, but were able to get the
passenger door opened. the fire engulfed the engine compartment. we were
advised of the consious alert patient and the fire via radio so we put the
hammer down.
By the time we arrived, we assisted the bystanders with their burns, they
drove themselves to the hospital.
We then waited on scene for the coroner, and assisted with the body
removal. Just fyi, toss a hot dog in a campfire and let it burn, thats what
a fresh burn corpse smells like.
One of the bystanders to this day still isnt right in the head having had
to back out of a burning vehicle and listen helplessly to a person burn
alive.

The short of the story is who really gives a shit what the law is. cargo
vehicles need them, especially utility

Its inconvenient as hell to have to harness up and hook lanyard all the way
up a tower. Ive never seen somebody fall off a tower..... see what im
saying?