I got in an accident in England and was amazed at what happened without Tort law... NOTHING... people exchanged insurance numbers and drove off.. the person who said they had a little pain said "I'll go by the doc in the am".. That was it. I had to wait for a Lorry to take my car away as I had radiator damage and everyone else just left me. It was sad and joyous at the same time. I hear it's not the same as much anymore as there is so bit of tort law now. But the medical is still just a non-issue. Makes me think fondly about Canada.. That is a lot of money available to do other things that otherwise goes into the pockets of lawyers... A LOT of cha-ching...

On 10/10/2016 02:50 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
If they do not include tort reform in the equation, it is never going to
change.
*From:* Ken Hohhof
*Sent:* Monday, October 10, 2016 3:39 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT - Politics

I don’t know specifically about the UK, but most of Europe has a high
VAT which is a very regressive tax.  But that is offset by many
government funded social services, free college tuition, stuff like that.

Politicians here in the US tend to ignore that you can’t have one
without the other.

Kind of like requiring insurance companies to insure everyone even those
with pre-existing conditions, goes along with the individual mandate so
healthy young people can’t opt out (and then sign up when they get
sick).  Politicians will propose getting rid of one but keeping the
other, which will not fly. The politicians probably know better, but
they are pandering.  Well, some are pandering, some may actually think
you  can eat the cow and still get milk.