On Wednesday, February 01, 2017 Ken Hohhof wrote:
> How sure are you that 20 years from now, that investment will still look
> “future proof”?
  Looking down at the fiber I put down the better part of twenty years ago and
still use, I say, yeah, it's still good for another twenty years and about as
future proof as anything gets.

> Or will it look like 8-track tapes and CB radio and non-flying cars and meat
> made from animals?
  Commercial products will give me 10 Tbps per fiber and the C band is
theoretically good for at least 100 Tbps, so I think we've got scalability
pretty well down and we aren't going to run out of bits any time soon.

  Assuming there was something better out there, we'd know about it by now.
Commercial products don't just appear from the thin ether. They take years of
R&D to commercialize. At the very least we should have scientific papers
detailing revolutionary breakthroughs in science that will lead to something
replacing fiber in twenty years.

> I remember when we were supposed to wire every house for ISDN, because in the
> future, everyone would “need” two 64 kbps bearer channels and a 16 kbps data
> channel and “integrated services”.
  I think picking on ISDN is a bit myopic. ISDN turned into g.fast which will
do a respectable gigabit over short distances.

Jared