Fronter
Good Copper
Mutually Exclusive

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:29 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Elevator phone lines

We have Frontier.  They have no “good copper”.  They have waterlogged cables,
and orange garbage bags on the side of the road where pedestals used to be.  If
you are the last house on the road and the cable goes bad, no POTS for you.
The mental image of well maintained copper cables is not reality in many
places.  On the other hand, in urban areas, the ILEC may be converting
everything to fiber or some hybrid fiber/VDSL system, and copper all the way to
the central office is not an option.  Even in rural areas, they want to replace
POTS with a wireless based service.