Nobody has observed yet that it's a high risk to rely on a 3rd party's free
service, no matter what it is, to provide an essential service to your
customers?

Nobody remembers 10+ years ago when a bunch of people all over the world
had a certain Level3 DNS server IP address configured into their gear, and
then level3 decided to introduce an ACL only allowing queries from their
own IP space?

Imagine if google decides to do away with 8.8.8.8 someday and you have 200
residential customers with that configured as the first resolver to try in
their home routers...

Running a recursive caching bind9 resolver with an ACL that only allows
your own ranges to query it is not a very high barrier to get over.