On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> The "modest in size" criterion applies to many cognitive causal deliberation
> problems, but when you get into the perceptual domain (the lower levels of
> Albus's hierarchy, basically), you're going to have very large Bayes net
> models, I believe.  There is a lot of perceptual data out there.  Or do you
> plan to have low-level and mid-level perception handled by methods other
> than Cyc-based inference?
>
> I guess you're a long way from thinking detail about doing perception from
> real, information-rich sensors?

Yes, for automatic term mapping the Cognitive Cyc sensor will read a
symbolic proposition or the equivalent in some structured form.  For rich,
information-rich sensors I would follow the pattern given by James Albus:
Grouping, Focus Attention, and Search.  He uses sliding windows to detect
regions of interest at the lowest resolution, and so forth.  His (NIST)
ideas have been demonstrated with autonomous vehicle navigation.

And thanks again for the tip you me - to consider Albus.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org