On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:46, Jef Allbright wrote:
> Jef wrote:
> Arnoud, it appears there is agreement that qualia exist -- as a very real
> illusion.  The "problem" of qualia, however, seems to be the question of
> how to represent/implement qualia in a thinking machine (assuming this must
> be designed-in for true and full consciousness.)

Qualia by their definition (ineffable, non-causal etc.) have no function, can 
have no function in the system, that I do agree with Dennett ('quining 
qualia'). I also agree with Dennett that if the behaviour of a system is 
completely explained nothing remains, all extra ontology is just redundant 
metaphysics. Eliminate it by Ockham's razor; like William James said: 'every 
difference must make a difference.'

  The misconception seems
> to go back at least as far as Descarte making the fundamental error of 
> "Cogito, ergo sum"

Nothing wrong with that, like also there is nothing wrong with 'I ride my 
bicycle, therefor I am'. Als long as 'I' is not reified into some internal 
ferry tale entity. 'I' refers to the *person* that speaks or writes it. What 
descartes did was abuse of language.

, and thereby based an entire ontology on separation
> between the observer and the observed.

Well there is of course a separation, I perceive a table, but I'm not it. My 
observation is part of me however (in some sense).

  Following Descartes for centuries
> now, many philosophers have assumed that "internal experience" is naturally
> more pure and direct than "external experience", which is degraded by the
> limitations of sensory apparatus.  This way of thinking implicity assumes
> the existence of an observer,

Well naive realism does that also (and scientific realism also). They differ 
from the Empiricism you describe that there is not an observer in the 
observer. That leads to an infinite regress as Ryle showed in 'The concept of 
mind'.

 who must be sending and receiving signals
> with the outside world. Given such a observer, then it seems it should be
> possible to monitor (or model) the incoming signals and gain a full
> understanding of the nature of qualia.

Yes, that's what Husserl tried to do with his phenomenology (and failed 
miserably. Very interesting though.).

The existence of qualia and an entity called self are not necessarily coupled. 
There can be qualia but no 'mind's I'.
(Terms like 'the self', 'the ego' etc are completely insane reifications; 
first they are made substantives and then they are taken to refer to existing 
entities. Two very wrong moves. A good dosis of ordinary language philosophy 
from Ryle and Wittgenstein is a good cure. W:'Philosophical problems occur 
when language goes on holiday.') 

>
> The paradox disappears if the view is widened to see that there is no
> independent self to do the observing.

That leads to the infinite regress of Ryle.

  There are many processes occurring
> within the brain, the body, and even extending outside the body, that
> together form the experience of self.

Sorry, but I don't experience a self. I see cows in the grass, I see the sky, 
I see myself in the mirror, I feel pain when I stumble over a chair and 
pleasure when I drink wine etc.. All this talk about 'experience of self' is 
presented as 'raw first-hand experience', but it is in fact high theoretical 
clumsy talk, twisting the meaning of words.  

  Studies have shown there is no
> single mind "driving" the human vehicle, in fact very often the internal
> voice identified as our concious self is rationalizing (explaining in a
> very creative way) actions already performed by other processes within the
> brain and after the fact playing catch-up and saying "*I* did that."

I read that in a book by Gazzaniga (neurocoginitive science). Very 
interesting. Of course Dennett also points out again and again that the brain 
fools itself, covering its mistakes/ignorance.
I think the 'illusion of self' can better be described as 'illusion of 
coherence (at all time)', 'illusion of complete planning', 'illusion of 
control', 'illusion of rationality' or something like that.    

>
> No matter how this system of interacting processes is queried about what it
> thinks is going on, the "self" is going to report that it "experiences"
> qualia.

Well 'qualia' is already itself a theoretical term. What the brain actually 
thinks is that there really are object and processes out there with the 
properties qualia represent; the brain is not realistic about qualia, it is 
naive realistic. E.g. I can't help thinking that I'm typing on a grey 
keyboard that feels hard, smells like coffee, sounds 'tick' when I hit it ... 
There's not just grey and the smell, there's the keyboard that has these 
properties. Operationally/Behaviourally we are all naive realists.
Locke made the irrealism move by making a distinction between real qualities 
which were properties of things, and unreal qualities which were just our 
representations of them. Physics and naive realism have drifted apart ever 
since. We have become a bit schizopfrenic; we have a 'manifest image' and a 
'scientific image' (W. Sellars) of the world.
The notion of qualia is very much based on this theorisation. Qualia can only 
exist, if there's this split of the world into appearances and reality; exist 
independently that is, otherwise they're just properties of things and we are 
simply naive realists. 
And well, the distinction is justified (based on the success of science and 
the practical ineliminatability of the manifest image), and so the qualia 
are.

  That's what it is built to do.  From its limited point of view, it
> is perfectly correct.  From a wider point of view the qualia are only an
> emergent property

ontologically, functionally or??

 of a multitude of separate but interconnected processes.
>

That sounds all very plausible, for physicalistic folk we all are here at the 
agi list (I suppose), but still, your point of view is too eliminative, 
ontologically, for me. 
And well, there is no reason to be eliminative, physics still has some subtle 
ontological space as I pointed out (The 'hard problem' of physics), and 
qualia fit it like a glove, in a grandiose metaphysical picture. Qualia are 
the dreams stuff is made of ;-)

Arnoud

PS do you speak Dutch? (retorical question) The problem is so subtle, the 
language we use clearly isn't a good medium to solve it in, just to blur it 
in. (Well, in Dutch the same effect occurs)
 

-------
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription, 
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to