"as a person: nihilism & the human condition. crime, drugs, debauchery.
self-destructive and life-endangering behaviour; rejection of social
norms. the world as I know it is a rather petty, woeful place and I
pretty much think modern city-dwelling life is a stenchy wet mouthful
of arse - not to say that living and dying in depravity and pain like
every one of my ancestors wasn't a whole lot worse. I'm far from
finding much in the Modern|West that is particularly engaging, but
luckily enough also think the Old|East was even more pathetic and that
naturalist hippies should be shot for their banal bovinity. I get
somewhat of a kick out of the fact that I might be risking the chance
to live forever by being such a societal refusenik."

amen brother. ^_^

On 3/28/07, kevin. osborne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Everyone on this list is quite different.
> What about the rest of you, what are your interests?

as a programmer: skilling up in cognitive systems in a fairly gradual
way so I'm ready and able to contribute when human-level (though not
necessarily -like) reasoning becomes a solved problem in the
mathematics|theory domain and needs competent programmers (which I'm
very far from being at this point, even after 10 years in the field)

as a fan of AGI: watching the smart guys (like Novamente) do the real
work of laying out the problem domain in theory and positing solutions
that make the leap between sound logic and running code. I'm not as
happy with all the blowhard action from others who are seemingly
incompetent in regards to making the leaps between

undertanding_cogniton->implementable_theory_of_thought->code->real_AGI_results
but am aware that the more people who are trying the better and as
someone with -zero- theories am aware that I'm a mere critic so -try-
to keep my scepticism to myself.

as a techie: scepticism. I think the 'small code' and 'small hardware'
people are kidding themselves. The CS theory|code we have today is
pretty much universally a complete bucket of sh!t and the hardware &
networking (while better) is still kinder toys compared to where it
could be. We are just -so- damn far away from say being able to build
hardware/software into things like ubiquitous (i.e. motes everywhere)
nanotech. Thinking that a semi-trivial set of code loops will somehow
become meta-cognitive is ridiculous and a tcpip socket does not a
synapse make.

as a singulatarian: big fan; I think it's inevitable, and that things
are definitely starting to snowball - see
http://del.icio.us/kevin/futurism. Can't say I'm buying into any
'when' predictions quite yet though.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303