On Saturday 05 May 2007 23:28, YKY (Yan King Yin) wrote:
> 2. Consciousness is not central to AGI unless you want to make it
> "sentient", by which I mean having its own emotions.

From Wikipedia:

*Sentience* refers to possession of sensory organs, the ability to feel or
perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness. The
possession of sapience is not a necessity. The word *sentient* is often
confused with the word *sapient* ...

The word that means having or having to do with emotion is "affective".

I think the discussion here could avoid a lot of misunderstandings if people
would simply use words dealing with mental and physiological phenomena with
their well-established, dictionary meanings. If there is some hitherto
undescribed phenomenon you need to refer to frequently, fine, make up a whole
new word. But you'll find that there are already words out there for most of
the stuff that gets talked about here.

Josh