As Nietzsche put it, from a functional point of view, consciousness is like
the general who, after the fact, takes responsibility for the largely
autonomous actions of his troops ;-)

However, none of these metaphors addresses the issue of first vs. third
person perspectives

I hate to trumpet "The Hidden Pattern" again, but therein I deal with such
issues at length and depth...

ben