    *From:* Benjamin Goertzel <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* agi@v2.listbox.com <mailto:agi@v2.listbox.com>
    *Sent:* Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:37 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [agi] The Advantages of a Conscious Mind

    Mike,

    The extent to which there is a rigid distinction between these two
    tiers in the human brain/mind is not entirely clear.  The human
    brain seems to have some distinct memory subsystems associated with
    various sorts of "short term memory" or "working memory", but the
    notion of "executive processing" overall is IMO best thought of as a
    fuzzy set.  Yes, there are some parts of the brain clearly shown (by
    fMRI and PET) to be involved with overall coordination, but the
    knowledge/memories associated by these brain regions is not
    necessarily the totality of what can occur in subjective conscious
    awareness.

    I think that the working memory and the autonomic nervous system are
    best viewed as two extremes, with a continuum of "conscious
    intensity levels" existing between them.

    For relatively recent thinking on the underpinnings of consciousnes
    in the human brain, check out the edited volume

    -- "Neural Correlates of Consciousness", by Thomas Metzinger

    His single-author book

    -- "Being No One"

    is also very good, though I disagree with his take on AI at the end
    of the book.  (he argues it would be unethical to create AGI's
    because it would be unethical to experiment on their half-formed,
    probably buggy conscious minds.)

    In Novamente we do have an AttentionalFocus concept which is much
    like what you call the "conscious" tier.  We have chosen the term
    "attentional focus" to avoid getting into arguments related to the
    nature of consciousness and the first person versus third person
    perspectives on mind.  Each item in the attentional focus is
    associated with a distributed network of other items that are not
    necessarily in the attentional focus, which ties in with the
    fuzziness of the executive function as mentioned above.

    -- Ben G

    On 5/6/07, *YKY (Yan King Yin)* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

        On 5/6/07, Mike Tintner < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
        >  YKY: Consciousness is not central to AGI .
> > The human mind consists of a two-tier structure. On top, you
        have this conscious, executive mind that takes most of the
        decisions about which way the system will go - basically does
        the steering. On bottom, you have the unconscious, subordinate
        mind that does nearly all the information processing, both
        briefing and executing the executive mind's decisions, putting
        the words in its mouth and forming the thoughts in its head,
        while continually pressuring the executive mind with conflicting
        emotions, and at the same time monitoring and controlling the
        immensely complex operations of the body.
That sounds reasonable. You're talking about the executive /
        planner module.  My focus is on the truth maintenance module,
        which operates somewhat passively, and would require high-level
        directives from the planner, including value-based bias.  The
        executive should be able to control all other modules.
I tried not to use the term "emotion" in AGI, but I guess most
        people like it as a metaphor.
YKY