On Sunday 06 May 2007 11:13, Derek Zahn wrote:
> J Storrs Hall, PhD. writes:
> >http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-AI-Creating-Conscience-Machine/dp/1591025117
>
> Cool!  I just pre-ordered my copy!

Thanks!

> >Look at Brook (http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu/) ... and
> >GPGPU in general (http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi).
>
> I'm also just beginning my experimentation with modern hardware, and just
> got
> a new machine with two Nvidia 8800GTX boards.  That G80 architecture is
> moving
> explicitly to a GPGPU architecture (by which I mean it doesn't have
> separate vertex and pixel processors, just 128 general-purpose processors
> per card. They
> have some pretty decent programming tools for it (called "CUDA").

I think that CUDA is a specialization of Brook for NVIDIA, but since my card
is NVIDIA too ...

> my new machine is an intel quad core at 2.7 ghz.  With each one executing a
> 4-wide
> simd instruction (single precision), that adds up to 43 gflops peak,

Intel claims 64 GFlops on a dual Clovertown on actual tests (30k square matrix
ops using linpack).

NVIDIA claims half a teraflop for the 8800 gtx. You need an "embarassingly
parallel" problem, tho.

I'm intending to do lo-level vision on (one) 8800 and everything else on my
(dual) Clovertowns.

Do you have any particular architectures / algorithms you're working on? Your
approach and mine sound like there could be valuable shared effort...

Josh