On Tuesday 05 June 2007 10:51:54 am Mark Waser wrote:
> It's my belief/contention that a sufficiently complex mind will be conscious
> and feel -- regardless of substrate.

Sounds like Mike the computer in Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Heinlein). Note,
btw, that Mike could be programmed in Loglan (predecessor of Lojban).

I think a system can get arbitrarily complex without being conscious --
consciousness is a specific kind of model-based, summarizing, self-monitoring
architecture. There has to be a certain system complexity for it to make any
sense, but something the complexity of say Linux could be made conscious (and
would work better if it were). That said, I think consciousness is necessary
but not sufficient for moral agency.

Josh