--- "YKY (Yan King Yin)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Lukasz Stafiniak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Pattern Recognition, Third Edition (Hardcover)
> > by Sergios Theodoridis (Author), Konstantinos Koutroumbas (Author)

> I have this one too, but the question is, how to apply pattern recognition
> in a logic-based setting?

The problem of logical reasoning in natural language is a pattern recognition
problem (like natural language recognition in general).  For example:

- Frogs are green.  Kermit is a frog.  Therefore Kermit is green.
- Cities have tall buildings.  New York is a city.  Therefore New York has
tall buildings.
- Summers are hot.  July is in the summer.  Therefore July is hot.

After many examples, you learn the pattern and you can solve novel logic
problems of the same form.  Repeat for many different patterns.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]