Why can't grounding from language, syntax, musical patterns, and other
non-visual forms of grounding play a role in mathematical thinking?

Why can't grounding in the form of abstract concepts learned from hours of
thinking about math and its transformations play an important role.

Because we humans are such multimedia machines, probably most of us who
are sighted have at least some visual associations tainting most of our
concepts -- including most of our mathematical concepts -- at least
somewhere in the gen/comp hierarchies representing them and the memories
and patterns that include them.

I have always considered myself a visual thinker, and much of my AGI
thinking is visual, but if you ask me what is “2 + 2”, it is a voice I
hear in my head that says “4”, not a picture.   It is not necessary that
visual reasoning be the main driving force in reasoning involving a
particular mathematical thought.  To a certain extent math is a language,
and it would be surprising if linguistic patterns and behaviors -- or at
least patterns and behaviors partially derived from them -- didn’t play a
large role in mathematical thinking.

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12