> > What I find more interesting is the question of whether, if, how,
> > when, and in what way these systems might become "self-aware".

Yes, Linas, you are right, that is a very interesting, and intriguing question.

Your examples are also very good. Should we then assume, that since it
is already the case that major industry segments and corporations are
run by software, and nobody seems to mind, that it will stay like
that?

I think that we should still think through, together with the answer
to your question, what should our position be if there were major
protests against systems becoming progressively, but not yet
radically, more autonomous.

There are now Department of Labor predictions of 50%-80% unemployment
rates due to automation of white collar jobs. This in my opinion is
not a small matter either.

The stem cell research in the US, and the genetically modified food
research in the EU have both been frozen through political
intervention because of their perceived threats. Neither of these
decisions were fully informed, but very emotional.

We should analyze what are the means to make sure the same doesn't
happen to AGI research.

--
--------
David Orban