John,

As you say the hardware is just going to get better and better.  In five
years the PC's of most of the people on this list will probably have at
least 8 cores and 16 gig of ram.

But even with a current 32 bit PC with say 4G of Ram you should be able to
build an AGI that would be a meaningful proof of concept.  Lets say 3G is
for representation, at say 60 bytes per atom (less than my usual 100
bytes/atom because using 32bit pointers), that would allow you roughly
50Million atoms.  Over 1 million seconds (very roughly two weeks 24/7) that
would allow an average of 50 atoms a second of representation.  Of course
your short term memory would record at a much higher frequency, and over
time more and more of your representation would go into models rather than
episodic recording.  But as this happened the vocabulary of patterns would
grow and thus one atom, on average would be able to represent more.

But it seems to me such an AGI should be able to have meaningful world
knowledge about certain simple worlds, or certain simple subparts of the
world.  For example, it should be able to have a pretty good model for the
world of many early video games, such as pong and perhaps even pac-man (Its
been so long since I've seen pac-man I don't know how complex it is, but I
am assuming 50 million atoms, many of which, over time, would represent
complex patterns, would be able to catch most of the meaningful
generalizations of pac-man including its control mechanisms and the results
they occur).

Is I said in an earlier email, if we want AGI-at-Home to catch on it would
be valuable to think of some sort of application that would either inspire
through importance or entice by usefulness or amusement to cause people let
it use a substantial part of their machine cycles.

You mention an interest in intelligent indexing.  Of course, hierarchical
memory provides a fairly good from of intelligent indexing, in the sense
that it automatically promotes indexing through learned combinations of
indicies, and can be easily made to have probabilistic and importance
weights on its index links to more efficiency allocate index activations.

How does your intelligent indexing work?

Ed Porter