From: John G. Rose [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:42 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: RE: Hacker intelligence level [WAS Re: [agi] Funding AGI research]

Ed,

Well it'd be nice having a supercomputer but P2P is a poor man's
supercomputer and beggars can't be choosy.

Honestly the type of AGI that I have been formulating in my mind has not
been at all closely related to simulating neural activity through
orchestrating partial and mass activations at low frequencies and I had been
avoiding those contagious cog sci memes on purpose. But your expose on the
subject is quite interesting and I wasn't that aware that that is how things
have been being done.

But getting more than a few thousand P2P nodes is difficult. Going from 10K
to 20K nodes and up, getting more difficult to the point of being
prohibitively expensive to being impossible or extremely lucky.  There are
ways to do it but according to your calculations the supercomputer mayt be
more of a wise choice as going out and scrounging up funding for that would
be easier.

Still though (besides working on my group theory heavy design) exploring the
crafting and chiseling of an activation model you are talking about to the
P2P network could be fruitful. I feel that through a number of up front and
unfortunately complicated design changes/adaptations that the activation
orchestrations could be improved thus bringing down the message rate
requirements, reducing activation requirements, depths and frequencies,
through a sort of computational resource topology consumption,
self-organizational design molding.

You do indicate some dynamic resource adaption and things like "intelligent
inference guiding schemes" in your description but it doesn't seem like it
melts enough into the resource space. But having a design be less static
risks excessive complications...

A major problem though with P2P and the activation methodology is that there
are so many variances in the latencies and availability that serious
synchronicity/simultaneity issues would exist that even more messaging might
be required. Since there are so many variables in public P2P, empirical data
also would be necessary to get a gander on feasibility.

I still feel strongly that the way to do AGI P2P (with public P2P as core
not augmental) is to understand the grid, and build the AGI design based on
that and what it will be in a few years, instead of taking a design and
morphing it to the resource space. That said, there are finite designs that
will work so the number of choices is few.

John