On Apr 22, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Mark Waser wrote:
In my experience it is not so much that they sound the same but that we don't know how to say them (in terms of mouth mechanics) such that we can isolate the difference between sounds that would have been in the range of a single phoneme in English.

No. We have a Thai exchange student this year. There are words that she swears are different that sound to me (and the rest of the family) to be exactly the same.

Precisely my point. They sound exactly the same until you understand the mechanics of the sound generation, at which point you have a frame of reference for recognizing the differences. The differences are there, you are just not using them as a means of discernment because you have no knowledge of which differences are important for discernment. This is why it is futile and silly to use sound examples to teach someone a difference that we have already established they cannot isolate. On the other hand, the phoneme generation mechanics are relatively unambiguous.

I could never hear many sounds until I figured out what they were doing to create the sound that was different from how I created the sound. Once I figured that out, it became relatively easy to hear the difference because I knew what to listen for.

Austroasiatic languages (like Thai) tend to be particularly difficult for native English speakers because they tend to rely heavily on complex usage of all the possible bits that English speakers do not. However, having delved fairly deeply in one such language myself, it is easier than it seems at first once you figure it out.

J. Andrew Rogers