Abram,

Thanks. V. helpful and interesting. Yes, on further examination, these interactionist guys seem, as you say, to be trying to take into account the embeddedness of the computer.

But no, there's still a huge divide between them and me. I would liken them in the context of this discussion, to Pei who tries to argue that NARS is "non-algorithmic", because the program is continuously changing. - and therefore satisfies the objections of classical objectors to AI/AGI.

Well, both these guys and Pei are still v. much algorithmic in any reasonable sense of the word - still following *structures,* if v. sophisticated (and continuously changing) structures, of thought.

And what I am asserting is a paradigm of a creative machine, which starts as, and is, NON-algorithmic and UNstructured in all its activities, albeit that it acquires and creates a multitude of algorithms, or routines/structures, for *parts* of those activities. For example, when you write a post, nearly every word and a great many phrases and even odd sentences, will be automatically, algorithmically produced. But the whole post, and most paras will *not* be - and *could not* be.

A creative machine has infinite combinative potential. An algorithmic, programmed machine has strictly limited combinativity..

And a keyboard is surely the near perfect symbol of infinite, unstructured combinativity. It is being, and has been, used in endlessly creative ways - and is, along with the blank page and pencil, the central tool of our civilisation's creativity. Those randomly arranged letters - clearly designed to be infinitely recombined - are the antithesis of a programmed machine.

So however those guys account for that keyboard, I don't see them as in any way accounting for it in my sense, or in its true, full usage. But thanks for your comments. (Oh and I did understand re Bayes - I was and am still arguing he isn't valid in many cases, period).

Mike,

The reason I decided that what you are arguing for is essentially an
interactive model is this quote:

"But that is obviously only the half of it.Computers are obviously
much more than that - and  Turing machines. You just have to look at
them. It's staring you in the face. There's something they have that
Turing machines don't. See it? Terren?

They have -   a keyboard."

A keyboard is precisely what the interaction theorists are trying to
account for! Plus the mouse, the ethernet port, et cetera.

Moreover, your general comments fit into the model if interpreted
judiciously. You make a distinction between rule-based and creative
behavior; rule-based behavior could be thought of as isolated
processing of input (receive input, process without interference,
output result) while creative behavior is behavior resulting from
continual interaction with and exploration of the external world. Your
concept of organisms as "organizers" only makes sense when I see it in
this light: a human organizes the environment by interaction with it,
while a Turing machine is unable to do this because it cannot
explore/experiment/discover.

-Abram