Abram,

I don't understand why.how I need to argue an alternative - please explain. If it helps, a deterministic, programmed machine can, at any given point, only follow one route through a given territory or problem space or maze - even if surprising & *appearing* to halt/deviate from the plan - to the original, less-than-omniscient-of-what-he-hath-wrought programmer. (A fundamental programming problem, right?) A creative free machine, like a human, really can follow any of what may be a vast range of routes - and you really can't predict what it will do or, at a basic level, be surprised by it.

Mike,

Will's objection is not quite so easily dismissed. You need to argue
that there is an alternative, not just that Will's is more of the
same.

--Abram