I'm saying Godelian completeness/incompleteness can't be easily
defined in the context of natural language, so it shouldn't be applied
there without providing justification for that application
(specifically, unambiguous definitions of "provably true" and
"semantically true" for natural language). Does that make sense, or am
I still confusing?

It makes sense but I'm arguing that you're making my point for me . . . .

agree with. Godel's incompleteness theorem tells us important
limitations of the logical approach to AI (and, indeed, any approach
that can be implemented on normal computers). It *has* however been
overused and abused throughout the years... which is one reason I
jumped on Mark...

Godel's incompleteness theorem tells us important limitations of all formal *and complete* approaches and systems (like logic). It clearly means that any approach to AI is going to have to be open-ended (Godellian-incomplete? ;-)

It emphatically does *not* tell us anything about "any approach that can be implemented on normal computers" and this is where all the people who insist that "because computers operate algorithmically, they will never achieve true general intelligence" are going wrong.

The later argument is similar to saying that because an inductive mathematical proof always operates only on just the next number, it will never successfully prove anything about infinity. I'm a firm believe in inductive proofs and the fact that general intelligences can be implemented on the computers that we have today.

You are correct in saying that Godel's theory has been improperly overused and abused over the years but my point was merely that AGI is Godellian Incomplete, natural language is Godellian Incomplete, and effectively AGI-Complete most probably pretty much exactly means Godellian-Incomplete. (Yes, that is a radically new phrasing and not necessarily quite what I mean/meant but . . . . ).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Abram Demski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I'm saying Godelian completeness/incompleteness can't be easily
defined in the context of natural language, so it shouldn't be applied
there without providing justification for that application
(specifically, unambiguous definitions of "provably true" and
"semantically true" for natural language). Does that make sense, or am
I still confusing?

Matthias,

I agree with your point in this context, but I think you also mean to
imply that Godel's incompleteness theorem isn't of any importance for
artificial intelligence, which (probably pretty obviously) I wouldn't
agree with. Godel's incompleteness theorem tells us important
limitations of the logical approach to AI (and, indeed, any approach
that can be implemented on normal computers). It *has* however been
overused and abused throughout the years... which is one reason I
jumped on Mark...

--Abram