If you were talking about something actual, then you would have a valid point. Numbers, though, only exist in so far as they exist in the theory that you are using to define them. E.g., if I were to claim that no number larger than the power-set of energy states within the universe were valid, it would not be disprovable. That would immediately mean that only finite numbers were valid.

P.S.: Just because you have a rule that could generate a particular number given a larger than possible number of steps doesn't mean that it is a valid number, as you can't actually ever generate it. I suspect that infinity is primarily a computational convenience. But one shouldn't mistake the fact that it's very convenient for meaning that it's true. Or, given Occam's Razor, should one? But Occam's Razor only detects provisional truths, not actual ones.

If you're going to be constructive, then you must restrict yourself to finitely many steps, each composed of finitely complex reasoning. And this means that you must give up both infinite numbers and irrational numbers. To do otherwise means assuming that you can make infinitely precise measurements (which would, at any rate, allow irrational numbers back in).

Therefore, I would assert that it isn't that it leaves "*even more* about numbers left undefined", but that those characteristics aren't in such a case properties of numbers. Merely of the simplifications an abstractions made to ease computation.

Abram Demski wrote:
Charles,

Interesting point-- but, all of these theories would be weaker then
the standard axioms, and so there would be *even more* about numbers
left undefined in them.

--Abram

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Charles Hixson